Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

Phone Number


Negligence date

Negligence details


Dentist Complaints - Medical Negligence Compensation Claim Solicitors


The dentist complaints procedure, which is a separate issue to dental negligence, although it may cover the same facts, is on several distinct levels. NHS complaints may now be made directly to the surgery for in house resolution or to an independent panel for subsequent review. Private treatment issues may be referred to the independent Dental Complaints Service for investigation. For serious patient safety issues there may be a referral to the General Dental Council (GDC) which is the regulator that deals with disciplinary procedures. In all cases involving personal injury caused by negligent treatment an application for financial compensation for dental negligence may be made to a solicitor.

NHS Dentist Complaint

The first step in dentist complaints procedure regarding making a complaint about NHS treatment is to either speak to or send a letter to the person at the dental practice that has been designated as being responsible these matters. The issue should be investigated in house however if you are not satisfied with the outcome the matter can be escalated to independent review. As an alternative dentist complaints procedure you can contact the local Primary Healthcare Trust (PMT) who will investigate and obtain a report from the surgery which may or may not adequately address the issues. Resolution in house or by the PMT will not result in any offer of compensation for pain and suffering or other losses due to medical insurance issues. To obtain damages you will have to discuss the matter with a dental negligence solicitor.

NHS Independent Review

If the initial response following NHS local resolution is not satisfactory, an application can be made to the Care Quality Commission (CQC) for an independent review. The CQC is the independent regulator of health & social care in England. The CQC does not award compensation for negligent treatment.

If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint by the Care Quality Commission you can ask for an independent review by the Health Service Ombudsman within 12 months of the date of the alleged inadequate treatment. The Health Service Ombudsman does not award compensation for negligent treatment.

Private Dental Treatment

The Dental Complaints Service (DCS) is an independent body set up and funded by the General Dental Council (GDC) to resolve complaints about private treatment without the necessity of recourse to a formal complaint to the GDC which deals with issues of serious patient safety. The DCS will use a team of advisors, healthcare professionals and members of the public to help to resolve contentious issues and may recommend that the dentist apologises and offers a refund for treatment costs and contributes to the cost of remedial treatment. Unfortunately the Dental Complaints Service is not able to arrange for compensation for pain and suffering or losses sustained as a result of negligent treatment for which recourse should be made to a practicing solicitor.

General Dental Council Complaints

The General Dental Council (GDC) is the organisation that regulates dental professionals in the United Kingdom. All technical workers are required to register with the GDC including dentists, nurses, technicians, hygienists and therapists. The GDC sets standards of practice, assures the quality of medical education and deals with serious complaints. The GDC has power under the Dentists Act 1984 to take action for serious professional misconduct and can remove or restrict the ability to practice due to health issues, conduct or performance. Dental complaints made directly to the GDC will usually require the dentist to undergo a full assessment of their performance and the matter may thereafter be referred to the Professional Performance Committee to consider disciplinary procedures. The GDC are unable to make awards for pain and suffering or financial losses due to negligent treatment which should be dealt with by referring the matter to a solicitor to take action.

Dentist Negligence Claims

Our solicitors are members of the Solicitors Regulation Authority panel of clinical negligence experts. Dentist complaints are dealt with using the no win no fee* scheme. There is no need to fund or finance the claim and there are no expenses or disbursements to pay. If you would like free advice without further obligation from a specialist solicitor about dental negligence compensation claims or the dentist complaints procedure just complete the contact form or use the helpline. We will consider your potential claim and advise you there and then of your chances of success and the likely value of a compensation award. If after speaking with us you decide to proceed no further there is no obligation to do so and you will not be charged for any advice.

no win no fee* & Legal Aid

Legal aid is available for clinical negligence claims however it is means tested and only those on low incomes or who are in receipt of social benefits are likely to qualify. Legal aid is however still available to almost all children and minors, that is those under the age of 18 years, who are not in employment, as it is the minors income and assets that are considered rather than the income and assets of the parents or guardian.

Our solicitors will carry out this work using the no win no fee* scheme. We operate the no win no fee** scheme otherwise known as a conditional fee agreement. No legal charge is payable unless the legal case is won and the client obtains an award of compensation. In the event that the legal claim is lost there is no charge made to the client. Our solicitors finance the entire case from start to finish ensuring that our claims are totally risk free for the client.


*Legal Information

The author of the substantive medical writing on this website is Dr. Christine Traxler MD whose biography can be read here